the leopoldine mimovich collection
Leopoldine Mimovich learnt sculpture in her native town Salzburg in Austria.
She emigrated to Melbourne in 1949 and it was in Australia that she created her
sculptures which adorn so many religious houses and Churches in this country
today. In 1985 Mrs Mimovich was awarded the Order of Australia for services to
St Monica's College is indeed fortunate to have numerous Mimovich pieces.
Several of her sculptures adorn the corridor wall of the Administration Complex.
It seems that they represent at least two different collections of Mimovich.
Another interesting piece with a central glass feature hangs in the Atrium of
It is unknown when these pieces were acquired or who purchased them.
The Stations of the Cross located along the walls of the Good Samaritan
Chapel are further pieces of our Mimovich Collection. These were originally
purchased for the chapel by the Gleeson Family, members of which were/are
Sisters of the Good Samaritan. When the Sisters vacated their convent in 1993
the Gleeson Family donated the Stations of the Cross to the College.